Northern California Grantmakers have had a few great arts-related posts in the past day or so. First comes “10 Lessons on Supporting Individual Artists” by NCG member and Durfee Foundation president Claire Peeps.
- Artists would rather receive a grant by application than by nomination.
- Artists don’t want to be categorized by discipline or career level.
- Small grants are like stepping stones.
- Ease of application and quick turnaround are highly valued.
- Funding is needed at all levels of artistic development.
- Artists support artists.
- Grants encourage artistic risk-taking
- Local giving builds community and keeps it current.
- Artists make great panelists.
- Optimism Matters.
If you want more, read Claire’s full report, “Supporting Individual Artists: 10 Years, 10 Lessons.”
Just yesterday, NCG posted a link to Marc Vogl’s “Changing the Game: Next-Generation Strategies for the Arts” from the recent Grantmakers in the Arts conference. Well worth a read for anyone interested in supporting artists and arts organizations.